[Amps] QSK-5 diode mod

To: "Amp Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] QSK-5 diode mod
From: "kingwood" <k5jv@kingwoodcable.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:21:12 -0500
Greetings to all,

        I just received a stand alone Ameritron QSK-5 that I bought on eBay.
The unit would not key the Harbach soft start mod that was installed in my
HL-2200 amp. An ohm meter check showed that the proper ground signal was
available on the "AMP RELAY"  connector.  The problem turned out to be a
diode that installed, on some units, from the lower circuit board to the RCA
phono connector.  The diode was good but not pass the minimal current on the
Harbach Soft Start control line.

        The last QSK-5 that I had in my shop did not have this diode
installed.  Another QSK-5 that I worked on, had this diode shorted out.   My
solution was to short a brightly colored wire so that the next operator can
easily spot it.  Bring this wire up to the top of the top board and leave
this wire long enough so that it can be easily accessed and cut, it you fine
a need to have the diode in the circuit.

        The stand alone QSK-5 very well.  I really do suggest using the
internal contacts to control the cut-off bias of the amp.  All the necessary
switching is already on the board.  All you need to do is add a DPDT,
shorting socket on the back of the QSK-5 and your amp and connect the with a
two wire cable with standard 1/8' tip, ring, and sleeve plugs.  Works great.
Have fun.

73 de Lon, K5JV

1110 Golden Bear Ln.
Kingwood, TX 77339