Re: [Amps] one mor SB-220 fix

To: "'kingwood'" <k5jv@kingwoodcable.com>, "'Amp Reflector'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] one mor SB-220 fix
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 23:00:41 -0500
The choke at the output side of the amp is there primarily to prevent the
tank circuit capacitors from charging up to some DC level and arcing over.
The output tuning capacitor typically only has plate spacing enough to
handle a few hundred volts. You would never see 3000 volts at the antenna
terminal unless maybe the tune capacitor was set to minimum capacitance or a
vacuum variable was employed.
Without a choke at the output even with a good low leakage plate blocking
capacitor there would be DC across the output as the plate block capacitor
is in series with the output tune capacitor and would charge to a portion of
the supply voltage until it arced and discharged. Then the charge cycle
would start again until it arced.

Take a look at most chokes at the output. Many are rated at only a couple of
hundred mills of current. Some use no more than a 2.5 mh 125 ma type choke.
A few amps have very heavy chokes there that could handle the full current
that the power supply can deliver but not many.

73
Gary  K4FMX