Re: [Amps] one mo' SB-220 fix

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] one mo' SB-220 fix
From: "Roy" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:21:06 -0500
About,

"The subject is the RF choke across the output of the amp.  This
choke is a safety device, intended to short any DC to ground that should
appear on the amp output.  How does DC get on the output?...(etc.)"

The output connectors of my amps face the input of an outboard PIN-diode QSK
unit which can't stand much stray voltage. So I built a final solution RF
choke: 14 turns of 14 gauge enameled wound on a 2.4-inch ferrite toroid
core. That is in a bud box with a male barrel connector mating it to the
SO-234 input connector of the QSK switch (the choke box has an additional
SO-234 for the cable coming from the amp -- with a through connection
inside). SWR readings are totally unaffected...the choke is transparent 160
through 10 meters.

73,  Roy   K6XK