[Amps] TH347 filament ramping

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: [Amps] TH347 filament ramping
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:52:31 -0600
Yes, that's one expensive but fantastic performing tube. I was looking
at using it in 1993, for 2 KW CW at 805 MHz, when RCA/Burle pulled the
plug on manufacturing the 8501 Cermelox tetrode, which was a beauty:
gold plated and having the pink Frenchtown NJ ceramics. Instead of
switching to the TH, we made a last purchase, and commenced on
developing a solid state amplifier to do the job instead. It worked
well, using a bucket full of MRF899 (early cellphone basestation BJTs),
and continues to run today. I still have a number of 8501 "trophys" at work.

I think that if you really ramp the filament slowly from zero, following
the exact recommendation of the mfr, you will not have filament
failures. Black heat works too, but thats only if you want to keep it in
standby mode, and switch on quickly. Depends on your operating style.
I've never built one with black heat circuit, using ramped current
instead, as we run them 24/7 until they need maintenance, and then shut
'em off.

73
John
K5PRO