Re: [Amps] SB-220 bias question

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 bias question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:12:31 -0400

> The Xc of the load cap does not change by simply reducing the
> drive.... how could it? That's nonsense. For a given
> frequency, the Xc of a cap is constant regardless of voltage,
> current or anything else.

Again, you did not read what I wrote ...

If you change the network by changing the plate load impedance
as you do when you run 1000 watts in the high voltage position
the VALUES of the capacitors must change since the value of the
inductor is fixed.

For example at 14 MHz:

                3000 Ohms (Q=12)      6000 Ohms (Q=24)
    C (tune)         42 pF                 41 pF
    L              3.36 uH               3.36 uH
    C (load)        231 pF                393 pF

3000 Ohms is approximately 2800 V @ 800 mA (1500 W PEP out)
6000 Ohms is approximately 2800 V @ 360 mA (1000 W DC in)

In order to use the SAME output at the lower power, the tube
operating conditions must be changed to approximately 2000 V
@ 500 mA.  Otherwise the circulating currents, losses, and
stress on the components increase significantly.

> I don't know where you got the idea that circulating current
> goes up with lowered drive, but it doesn't.

Obviously you need to do some more studying of RF networks.
Circulating current increases with network Q - that's the
primary reason for the higher losses (I^2*R losses in the
coil).  If you use the same inductor in a 6000 Ohm to 50 Ohm
pi network than you used in a 3000 Ohm to 50 Ohm pi network,
the network Q and the circulating current will go up