Re: [Amps] Query about capacitor value

To: "Jack Parker" <vhfplus@gmail.com>, "MIKE DURKIN" <patriot121@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Query about capacitor value
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:36:02 -0400
That sounds like a laser discharge cap or something similar. For amplifier
filtering it should be limited to 2500-3000V and the case temperature
monitored. There have been many reports of them failing when run at or close
to the marked voltage, especially when they first hit the surplus market in
large quantities in the early 80's. There has been much written up about
them since.

I have an identical rating/size cap that has run for over 25 years at 2500V
and that PS is now powering a PP 810 modulator.

Carl
KM1H