Re: [Amps] Silver Plating Tank Coil ??

To: "ToddRoberts2001@aol.com" <ToddRoberts2001@aol.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Silver Plating Tank Coil ??
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:36:09 -0400
  Gold plating is often done over nickel. Apparently the copper atoms tend
to diffuse thru the
thin gold layer. To stop this a plating of much less porous nickel is used
as an interface
layer between the copper and gold. I don't recall how thick the nickel is
but it is much thicker than
the gold layer. It may still be thin enough not to affect the RF resistance
of the coil but I just don't know
without investigating it further.
   I can say that I have seen lots of gold plated cavities and RF
components in mostly military applications.

73
Bill wa4lav