Re: [Amps] Drake L4 Slow Relay

To: "mike stokes" <mike9v@gmail.com>, <ve3zi@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L4 Slow Relay
From: "Paul Playford" <paul@w8aef.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:26:04 -0700
You should install a 1N4004 (or similar) diode across the VOX terminal with
the anode to the ground and the cathode to the RY1 terminal.  This will
prevent inductive voltage spikes from welding the contacts on the relay in
your '765.

Then measure the open circuit voltage across the VOX terminals on the
amplifier.

If that voltage is more than 30 vdc you should use a buffer circuit between
the IC-765's relay contacts and the L4's VOX circuit.

If the voltage is higher than 30 volts and you have no buffer circuit you
have probably welded the contacts on the relay in the 765 and it will
require replacement.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2JI/ZF2TA  FO8DX/FO8PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A  VU7RT  TX5C