[Amps] Sweep Tube Amp

To: AMPS List <amps@contesting.com>, ham_amplifiers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amps] Sweep Tube Amp
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:55:47 -0500
I recently acquired a sweep tube amp and I got it for nostalgic reasons.
    This is my first experience with one of these beasts.  It is the
Side Band Engineers matching amp for an SBE-33 which was first phone rig
I bought after I got my general class in 1964.

Anyway, I had to do some work on it before trying to put it on the air.
  It uses 6 - 6JE6's.  I see that 6LQ6's are often shown as
interchangeable.  The amp came with 5 - 6JE6 and 1 - 6LQ6.  Are they
really mixable?

The output is very low.  With a single tone drive, it loads to 1.2 amp
which is spec and seems to be peak output point too.  However, the
output is only about 150W.  Is the tube mixture a problem or are all the
tubes just soft or both?  I shudder when I see the price of 6 - 6JE6's.
  Of course, the manual says to use matched sets which is probably
impossible these days.

David
KW4DH
--

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can
exist only until the voters discover they can vote themselves largess