Re: [Amps] Dummy Loads & Wattmeters

To: 'AMPS' <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dummy Loads & Wattmeters
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:15:10 +0000
David C. Hallam wrote:
> My original posting has garnered a lot of interesting discussion.  To
> reduce everything to the simplest what I am trying to determine is;
>
> If I measure the output of an amp into a dummy load with a measured DC
> resistance of 69/70 ohm using a Bird 43 wattmeter and I read 550W, can I
> have confidence that this reading is within +/-10% of actual?
>
> David
> KW4DH

Technically you would need to define confidence.

Is being 10% certain the result is within +/- 10% OK for you? Do you need to be
50% confident it is within 10%? Do you need to be 90% confident it is within
10%? Do  you need to be 95% confident? 99% confident perhaps?

Using laymens terms, you should not be confident the result is 10%.

Firstly,  I'm not aware of Bird slugs with power rating W of greater than 500
W,
but less than 1000 W, though that might not be true now, although it was 20
years ago.

So you would to use a 1000 W slug. Bird would claim +/- 5% of FSD (50 W on a
1000 W slug). If you read 550 W +/- 50 W then  according to Bird specs, reading
should be accurate to +/- 9.1%.

In practice, given I believe Bird specs are optimistic by about a factor of at
least 2, I'd say it would be 550 W +/- 18 %. So you should not have much
confidence it is within 10%.

As a very rough guess, I'd say you can be 95% confident the true power is
within
18% of 550 W.

Dave