Re: [Amps] FW: Decent HF directional coupler for RF power meas.

To: "'Phil & Debbie Salas'" <dpsalas@tx.rr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: Decent HF directional coupler for RF power meas.
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:46:29 -0500
Hi Phil,

I too have been obsessing about accurate power measurements over the last
year or so.
I made a coupler somewhat like that used in the typical wattcmeters, a
torpid with the center conductor of the power cable passing thru it and this
is placed right at the input to a 1kw bird load. But instead of going to a
diode detector it feeds a small resistor load and then an attenuator then
that goes to the power meter. I have a Boonton that is similar to the HP
436. I seem to get fair results with it but have not frequency compensated
it yet.

I thought that making a resistor divider right at the input to the dummy
load might work rather well to, making the whole affair into a high power
attenuator. With the rather high value of resistor required to tap into the
50 ohm line it should not upset the visor too much.
I didn't have the proper value resistors on hand so it is on the back
burner.

However I found that measuring attenuators and getting different power
meters and sources to agree is not simple. I thought that if I could get two
or three things to agree with different test setups that I would be in the
ballpark. Not easy.

I have been thinking about the LP100 or one of the other wattcmeters but at
this point I don't have high confidence in any. What have you found?

73
Gary  K4FMX