Re: [Amps] Life of 3CX800 tubes

To: "'Rick Stealey'" <rstealey@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Life of 3CX800 tubes
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:57:26 -0500
For reference, the original 3CX800 tubes in my 87A, which is going on 15
years old, are still producing full output (>2200W) into a dummy load on
160m-10m.

If the 89 is anything like the 87A, which I believe it is (i.e., same amp,
not automated), then your voltage is too low. It should be closer to 3000V.
My 87A idles with the HV LED one position to the left of the maximum 3000V,
which is somewhere in the range of 2850V.

But don't despair. I suspect your voltage is lower because you have the
SSB/CW switch in the CW position, which lowers the HV to around 2500V.
Consequently, the amp won't produce full output. I've made this mistake many
times on my 87A (i.e., moving the amp and accidentally changing the switch
to the LO position, then wondering why I can't get full output power.) I
believe Alpha will tell you that the amp should never be tuned or run in the
CW position. It's only there for FCC compliance reasons (i.e., ensuring that
peak power on CW doesn't exceed the legal limit.)

Try tuning the amp with the switch in the SSB position and I think you'll be
pleased with the results.

73, Dick WC1M