Re: [Amps] Response the "QSK switching time"

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, "'Amp Reflector'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Response the "QSK switching time"
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:43:28 -0500

> The tick is caused by the moderately-high switching voltage
> being applied to the T/R diodes.  I haven't taken a good look
> at that part of the schematic, but I'm curious as to why such
> high voltage (400V) is needed for switching?

The 400 Volts is used to baas off (reverse bias) the receive
path (antenna to transceiver) during transmit.  In a 50 Ohm
system at 1500W the RF voltage is approximately 275 Volts
(RMS) or about 385V peak.  A back bias of less than 400V will
allow the diodes to conduct during part of the RF cycle and
will result in feedback which can turn the amplifier into an
oscillator, destroy finals in the transceiver or many other
nasty things.

As pointed out by K5JV just a couple days ago, 400V is really
too low to survive system voltages at 1500 W with at SWR levels
above 1.5:1 in SSB or any SWR in constant carrier modes like
RTTY.  This is one reason that the QSK-5 is rated as it is.
This lack of understanding is one reason the QSK-5 and old
DEO QSK-1500 have a bad reputation, particularly when operated
with 8877 based amplifiers with "all knobs to the right."

Lon is correct, to be reliable  the diode QSK units really need
to use 1000V reverse bias for the "transceiver to antenna" leg
of the switch in order to prevent breakdown under the combination
of high power and high SWR.  By the way, the 400V reverse bias
is reasonable for a 1000W amplifier like the SPE 1KFA or a
single 3-500Z and the diode T/R switch is likely to survive
anything the amplifier can deliver into a 2:1 SWR.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV