Re: [Amps] water cooling tips

To: jtml@vla.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] water cooling tips
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:33:33 -0500

John Lyles wrote:
> Jim Tonne is correct, not only for the filter but for the bottles that clean
> up big cooling loops. They call this technique a sliptstream process, where
> it is a side loop with about 5-10% of the main flow. We use Culligan unibed
> and oxygen bottles in what is called a polishing loop, the two of them not
> only remove ionics but also oxygen from the water. In larger tubes that can
> boil water (like vapor and multiphase cooling), Eimac adn the other
> manufacturers want very low dissolved oxygen as well.
>
> Pure DI water can get as resistive as 18 Megohm-cm, which is about the
> theoretical limit. This water would be very difficult on fittings and metals
> as it will scavenge ions, which causes migration through the hoses, and can
> plate the metal ions elsewhere. It is very difficult to maintain this perfect
> water in this condition, as it degrades as it strips whatever ions it can
> through the cooling system.
Even the lower resistivity DI or distilled water will eventually leach
out the brass fittings such as hose barbs leaving them a red color that
is very brittle to the point you can crush/crumble them by hand.
However nearly all fittings are now available in plastic if you aren't
running too much pressure.

73

Roger (K8RI)