[Amps] Henry console value

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Henry console value
From: Donald Fox <taurusshoguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:11:20 -0800 (PST)
I do a lot of lurking here, but have to weigh in on this.

I think Carl is thinking of the older Henry console amps prior to the Classic
series. Admittedly, I am slightly biased having both a 2KX and a 3KX in the
shack at the moment.

While the Henrys are big, low tech, and pricey for their time, they are pretty
reliable as long as one takes care of them. I would not call them a contest amp
per se, although I think a Henry can hang in there when compared with an equal
specimen of another brand.

I find them (the consoles any) roomy and easy to work on. You won't throw one
under your arm and trot off to Field Day with it, but from any location it will
put out reliable power when and where you need it pretty much from 3-30mhz.

While a Henry console will not compare with an Alpha or other high tech modern
amp when it comes to no tune up or quiet operation, I feel that they have
earned a spot in ham radio history as a formidable amplifier that was in some
ways ahead of its time.

I think the use of a variable coil and fixed capacitors to be an interesting
deviation from the standard Pi network that everyone else uses.

If I had the bucks, I would buy all of the Classic consoles I could get my paws
on for less than a grand, and regularly see the 2K and 2KX consoles sell for
$1400-1800.00.

The HV PS in all but the base 2K is capable of much more than a pair of 3-500zs
could ever ask from it.

I know if my Henry blows up, I can repair it. I would not make the same wager
with an Alpha, Emtron, or PW1, etc.

                                                              Don