Re: [Amps] Right mounting of HV oilfilled C's?

To: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Right mounting of HV oilfilled C's?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:21:19 -0500
They could also be for laser discharge. In any even there are many, many
reports of those type cats shorting and even rupturing when used in a ham
style PS at or near their maximum voltage. Unfortunately several magazine
articles were published showing them used at their ratings and even lying on
their sides so problems still continue.

Consensus has been that if run at 50-66% of ratings they work well. Ive had
a 5kv laser discharge cap running at 2500V for about 5 years of use in one
of the AM amps but it is backed up by a HV fuse. It was also new surplus and
not retired from service after xxx hours.

Carl
KM1H