[Amps] Single pole Millen HV connectors.

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Single pole Millen HV connectors.
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 03:12:11 -0800
.

The single-pole Millen connectors are also dangerous because there's
nothing to prevent a user from connecting only the B+, with no B-minus
or ground return. With a separate RF chassis, switching on will give you
a live chassis.
You won't get any live chassis, if the chassis in question is properly grnded.
###  All my  RF decks are separate box's.   B+  supplies  are each in their own
box. ##  I treat the B- like it was hot.... and used the Black Millens  at both
ends.... Rf deckand mating HV supply... and used Black belden 10 kv hv wire. ##
The kicker is...  BOTH  chassis's  are bonded  directly together ! .... with a
separate 8-10 ga cu wire..and heavy lugs on each end.    In addition, both the
RF deck chassis and the  HV  chassis, each have it's own wire.. from each's
chassisto electrical utility grnd.   No big deal, since the RF deck has it's
own 120 vac  3 x wire cord.. [ hot/neutral/grnd].HV supply is almost  the same
deal..it has 2 x hots, neutral and grnd.Then, I have  RVS connected  6A10
diodes, between chassis  and B-......... in BOTH the RF deck's.. and also the
matingHV supplies.   The B-  can never float more than  +/- .7 vdc  from the
chassis.  I use several  6A10's  [like 4] in each di
 rection,to make up a bomb proof assy... so 8  in total.... per assy.  I can
cro-bar the  B+ to chassis.... and not take out the safety diodes.The sand
filled DC  B+   HV fuse  [located just prior to the glitch R]  blows open with
any fault.   I also install a HV AC  sand filled fuse,located between sec of
plate xfmr [ either leg, but just one leg].. and  input of FWB  board.   The
magnetic-hydraulic 240vac breaker, [instant trip, zero time delay]  completes
the project.  In both situations, something else usually prevents a fatal
accident
(the technical term for this is "dumb luck")... but still, there is
something fundamentally wrong about any HV connector series that
actually *adds* to the risk.
### agreed. Later............ Jim  VE7RF
--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek