Re: [Amps] Which HV connector to use.

To: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Which HV connector to use.
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:27:16 -0500
When I was selling high power parts in the 80's and 90's the Alden's far
outsold the Millen to hams and commercial customers. At first just plugs and
sockets were available that would take up to #18 20kv wire. Then they
switched to a socket with a 24"  #22 molded wire which was OK for most as
the plug could still take up to #18. They had a bigger set at higher voltage
but there was a huge price jump and I only sold those on special order.

Ive a small box in the basement with arced Millens returned by customers.
Examination shows that no flights of fancy with polished metal would have
prevented failure. They were simply defective and dangerous, especially for
4-1000A builders. I often show these to visitors and take them to hamfests.

Perhaps the manufacturing process had problems as there were 2-3 changes of
ownership at the time.
My Millen sales were often replacements to hams whose old ones had cracked
or arced over decades even at modest voltages so it wasnt entirely a new
phenonoma.

I still wont use them at any more than half their ratings; Ive enough safe
alternatives here to choose from for higher voltages.

Carl
KM1H