Re: [Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 02:23:33 +0000
> Don't forget, that line voltages can vary over quite a wide range and
> there are taps on many transformers to adjust for the proper output
> voltage. Line voltage can easily vary up to around 10%. I don't know
> what the specs are now for AC, but it "used to be pretty tight".  Still
> I remember a couple of times back in the 60's and 70's of calling the
> power company because we were going through light bulbs like crazy. We
> were at the head end of a very long line so we ran near the upper limit
> just to get enough voltage to the other end.

> Current line voltage right now is 118/236. I've never seen it go outside
> 115-118 except for some failures.

   Just after I got married I bought two 75 Watt long life 120 Volt "Krypton"
lamps for my new front
porch lamp as it was a pain to change.  (at $5 each)  The first lasted 1/2 an
hour, thinking it was
a "juvenile failure" I installed the second, which lasted 1/2 an hour.  I got
out my VOM and
measured 135 Volts, after that I was particular to never pay more than 9 Cents
each for a lamp.
(Canadian GE's)  The next day the live voltage was normal.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - He who attacks the fundamentals of the American broadcasting
industry