[Amps] Building an Amp & Metalworking is an Art.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Building an Amp & Metalworking is an Art.
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:24:27 +1100
Working with aluminum sheet is fairly straight forward..

Actually the secret from my experience is using your head and taking
your time at each task...I realise that not everybody is able to do fine
metal work...

All I have at my disposal for making cabinets are a 3 speed bench press
drill, a couple of ordinary electric drills, a good selection of
metalwork files, calipers squares and scribes....I do all my work with
these tools....I have a homebrew metal bending brake..The secret is
accuracy and patience...Measure twice and cut once...

I always assemble my panels using nuts and bolts....When I have
completed the job including all tube and meter holes etc and have
everything perfectly lined up, I then disassemble the complete chassis,
emery out any scratches and blemishes then put all the chassis plates
etc into a good strong caustic bath...When etched to a good satin finish
I reassemble the chassis/box using blind rivets...The satin finish is
easy to keep clean from fingermarks etc...It is then easy to mount all
the hardware and wiring...

Bill is correct....It often takes hundreds of hours to build a project
from the ground up...Cost of components plus shipping are high..You will
hardly ever be able to sell the amplifier for much more than the cost of
the components...I have been a bit more fortunate there, custom building
projects for other hams....However the satisfaction of being on air with
your own handiwork is worth all the bother..

Bob..VK3ZL..