[Amps] 30S-1 Questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 30S-1 Questions
From: "Cecil Acuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:44:51 -0600
Hi Folks,

I have had the good fortune to have a near mint 30S-1 given to me.  It is a
real piece of art for sure.  All original and reported to only have around a
150 hrs. of operation on the clock.  Still sporting the plastic on the front
door of the power supply.

I cleaned it up and gave it a serious visual and found a jumper in the 3
minute time delay relay socket.  Had a new one so I fixed that.  Amp came
with a spare tube, a pull stamped as having 1000 hours on it so I assume it
was a military pull. (4CX-1000A)

I have read for years how quiet the cooling systems are in these things and
all I have read is true.  But if this amp is typical, all that design was
wasted because the loudest thing is the HV power supply buzz...not the
fan/cooling system.

Is this typical for these amps.  With no load it's noisy...under load it
quiets down a good bit but is still audible.  I really expected that part to
be pretty much silent.

Any history or experience on quieting this thing down would be helpful.

Otherwise I love the amp.

I get around 700w out on CW on 400ma and 1kw on voice peaks on my bird 43
with 300ma peaks on the Plate meter.  Never a sign of grid current.  Not
pushing it too hard.

Thanks..

Cecil Acuff
K5DL