Re: [Amps] Tuning amplifiers

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuning amplifiers
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:08:29 +0000
> I kind of like the tuning method used by the 30S1. Perhaps a variation of
> that would be useful.
> That is, knowing the gain of the amplifier when properly tuned, measure the
> ratio of output power to input power.
> With proper drive ,even pulsed, you can fine tune to that ratio.
>    Does anyone make a power gain meter?   *
> Some old designs in QST  looked at the ratio of input voltage to output
> voltage directly at the tube. This ratio would be correct when
> the plate was properly matched to the load.  I recall one that actually
> varied the bias to maintain linearity on high peaks. That is sort of
> a quasi-daf amplifier.

*  That would be easy to make, two identical power meters fed from the input and
from the output, the one fed by the output experiencing the same attenuation as
the gain of the amplifier, a zero center meter connected between the two outputs
will be centered when the gain = normal.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - He who attacks the fundamentals of the American broadcasting
industry