Re: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes

To: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:34:12 -0500

Ron Youvan wrote:
>> Another way to look at it is that full carrier tuning for SSB gives
>> you a wee bit more "headroom" than pulse tuning. I don't think it's
>> good to try to squeeze the last tiny bit of power out, ESPECAILLY with
>> SSB. That extra headroom will help prevent clipping and the resultant
>> splatter.
>>

>    I've never related tuning with headroom and I don't get it.  Tuning has
> always
> acted like and an adjustable attenuator to an amplifier's transfer
> charismatics.

Does pulse tuning at max PEP out with a higher plate voltage than normal
really give you more over head, or less.? IOW, you are tuning up at a
higher plate voltage than normal as it won't have the normal sage
related to normal use on SSB let alone CW. Or is the difference not
worth worrying about?

I normally tune into a dummy load while adjusting the antenna tuner with
the antenna analyzer, then switching to the antenna which was adjusted
to the same figures as the dummy load.

>    Tuning's impedance matching seems primarily to effect efficiency and
> inversely
> device dissipation.

Unless running near the amps limits I'd not expect this to represent a
problem

73

Roger (K8RI)