Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "Robert Briggs" <vk3zl@bigpond.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..
From: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:18:36 -0500
Hi All,

Carl & Bob offer some sage advice herein to the newbie amplifier builder...!
Neophytes, take heed...

My own personal "route to redemption" in this regard went thusly:

(A) I started out building the 4x811A design featured in the ARRL's SSB
manual;

(B) I learned (the HARD way!) the importance of MATCHING tubes in such
multi-tube designs;

(C) I settled on using just a PAIR of 811As (my surplus supply ran out!);

(D) I elevated the power level by replacing the 811As with a pair of 572Bs,
and finally,

(E) Years of struggling with the above after-thoughts compelled me to dream
about my "ultimate" kilowatt---cheap tubes, ALL bands, tuned input,
removeable plate tuning cap, inductive tuning (as required), etc.---and so I
built a pair of 813s in parallel grounded-grid in 1990...and I continue to
use this outfit to this day.

Anyone with a backlog of the old "HAM RADIO" magazine could do no better
than to carefully read the 3 part series on HB linears written by the
venerable Bill Orr (W6SAI), which appeared in the late 1970's. It is surely
MUST reading for anyone & everyone contemplating taking the "homebrew
plunge" and rolling one's own...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ