Re: [Amps] HV Relay

To: <vk3pa@vk3pa.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Relay
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:48:10 -0700
Allan, I have no doubt that your sequencer using Russian vacuum relays (B1B
and B2B) will work fine in normal operation.  As I understand Mike's
posting, however, he was interested in flashover protection, and had
proposed using vacuum relays to interrupt the HV in the event of a fault,
such as might be caused by an internal arc in a tube, or a short circuit in
the HV circuitry. Unless the B1B and B2B are specifically designed for
hot-switching (and perhaps they are -- I've not used them), they shouldn't
be counted on to protect your amp and power supply under fault conditions. I
have a Jennings application note that specifically warns against using
(Jennings) vacuum relays in that kind of application.

Also, looking through the F1FRV website that you flagged, I notice several
circuit diagrams where the HV is dropped with a voltage divider string down
to 1 or 2 volts, which is then sampled by an op amp whose output sequences
various control relays. To me, this is risky design practice, since if the
bottom resistor in the divider string opens up, the full 4kV will appear on
the control circuitry and destroy everything in sight.

To my mind, keeping it simple and minimizing active solid state components
in a power amplifier results in greater reliability. Harris amps, for
example, strike me as relatively unreliable; the ones I've repaired
inevitably have a failure in a FET, diode, transistor, or IC. I know it's
tempting use use sophisticated control circuits when building an amplifier
(and I've succumbed to the temptation more than once), but there's a price
to be paid in terms of overall amplifier reliability.

73,
Jim Garland W8ZR