Re: [Amps] Water cooled 160 meter amplifier..

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Water cooled 160 meter amplifier..
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 19:02:46 -0500
On the water cooled computer I used for recording in
my home studio, I did something different after
watercooling for the last 8-10 years. Instead of
having a radiator from a car heater with fans
quietly blowing air through the fins as I always had
done, I realized I was doing this in the basement
with an eternally cool floor.

I bought 100' of tygon tubing on ebay and ran this
around the floor of the basement, against the wall.
At the distal end I ran the tubing into an Iwaki
water pump which I also got on fleabay. The outflow
went back to the computer and the two tubes were
side by side on the floor. No fan and the only sound
was the water pump which was whisper quiet to start
with.

In just a matter of feet the tubing had dissipated
the 300 watts worth of heat and 10 feet away the
tubing felt cold. Absolute silence for the
recording.

For the most concerned, one could use copper piping
but the Tygon (or equivalent) will be just fine.

This would be an excellent approach to watercooling
as you mention with your amplifier below.

Gary
KA1J