Re: [Amps] 120 cycle hum from Henry 2K-4

To: "johndtate@post.com" <johndtate@post.com>, "stevek@jmr.com" <stevek@jmr.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 120 cycle hum from Henry 2K-4
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 03:08:41 -0500
I just looked at the 2k4 manual. I never had one so I thought I'd look at the
schematic. I noticed something interesting. L10 ,a 50 uH choke, is connected
between the centertap of the filament transformer and the connection between
the two series connected  filaments.  If for some strange reason either tube is
drawing less than filament current than the other there would be a 60 Hz AC
current flowing thru the RF chokeL10 which I assume has a metallic core. If
that is the case the inductance of L10 could be modulated at a 120 Hz rate
causing an input impedance modulation thus modulating the input signal.  This
is not likely but a remote possibility. Easily determined by measuring the AC
voltage across L10 with only filaments lit.  And if you do measure a voltage
across it then measure it's resistance and calculate the current.  Also, L10
may have been replaced somewhere down the line with a lower current one that
would saturate at a much lower 60 Hz current.
  But odds are that it is plate supply ripple.
73
Bill wa4lav