[Amps] Step start, is it needed ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Step start, is it needed ?
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:08:15 -0800
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:18:40 -0800
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Step Start circuit - needed or not?

The SB-1000 does not require a step-start. The transformer is designed so that
the
secondaries have enough impedance to protect the diodes and tube filament at
startup. It
also has a relay to protect the switch (at least mine, which is a late model,
does).

##  anybody that designs sec windings on plate xmfr's to be high Z these days,
just to eliminate the start up surge, needs to go back to school.  If it goes
off with
a helluva thump, on turn on.. you need step start.  That thumping is hard on the
on/off switch, caps, diodes, and xfmr itself.   If he ever changes out the caps
larger value ones some day, he will need step start anyway, so he may as well
install it now, and be done with it.

##  High Z  sec windings on plate xfmr's is just a cheap way to wind a plate
xfmr,
and enhance profits. [read small ga wire]    Ditto  with Ameritron leaving out
the glitch
R for years on end. Reasoning was, each  of the 8 x lytic's  had 1 ohm esr.. +
another
2 ohms in the plate choke = 10 ohms esr... = no glitch needed.   That doesn't
cut it
these days.  My last bunch of small caps  measure .017 ohm esr... each.   So
newer
caps are not only higher uf, they are also lower ESR.  new ones WILL thump, and
then
some.

later....... Jim  VE7RF

Having said all that, I added a step-start to mine to eliminate the thump that
it
sometimes emits on startup. But I think that's only an aesthetic thing.