[Amps] Step start, easy way to do it.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Step start, easy way to do it.
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:20:41 -0800
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:21:39 -0300
From: Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB <felipeceglia2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] soft start, how to determine if needed?
To: Edward Swynar <gswynar@durham.net>
Cc: Amps@contesting.com

Folks,

Thank you for your replies.

Is there a way to calculate what R values and relay contact Amp rate
should I need?

Also, if the primary is feed with 110+110 volts, I should use one R on
each primary leg winding, right?

73 tu,

Felipe - PY1NB

##  IF the total Voltage  is  220  vac  across the entire pri  winding,
[even if it's TWO x 110 vac  winding's in SERIES],  you only require
ONE  step start resistor... inserted into ONE leg.   [either leg]

##  Typ R value is 10-25 ohms.  25 ohms is a good value  for most small
amplifiers, and  25-50 uf  of filter C.    Typ wattage is  50-100w.
Use either  a wire wound resistor on stand-off's.. OR an Arcol  type resistor
[ metal finned type, no standoff required, bolted directly to chassis, or side
wall]

###  220 v / 25 ohms  = 8.8A  when power applied.   I'd suggest using a
20-40A  rated relay  to  short out the 25 ohm resistor.   [SPST]   This SPST
relay will have to handle the FULL  current, once energized.

##  I'd also suggest a  20-40A rated  DPST   to apply the 220 vac.

## Wiring from  25 ohm resistor  to SPST step start  relay  does NOT have to
be big ga.   It will only have to handle  8.8A for 1-5 seconds.  12-16 ga is
plenty
big enough. Just make sure all connections are solid.   ALL other  220 vac
wiring
should be sized  for minimal V drops

Later... Jim  VE7RF