Re: [Amps] Revamping a really ugly amp

To: Rex Lint <rex@lint.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Revamping a really ugly amp
From: Robert Morris <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:47:57 -0500
On 3/13/10 2:04 PM, Rex Lint wrote:

> I wonder if anyone uses relays instead of a rotary switch

I have a 1975 manual for a Motorola TRN6031 HF linear amp.
Uses an 8877 and speced at 1kw out. Uses "special contactors" for band
switching
three segments in 2 to 18 megs.
 From the photo they don't appear to be much more than DPDT 10amp, open frames
with a short across the NO contacts. Taps from the coil go to the NC contacts
and short the unused chunk of coil.

Just 'cause Motorola's name is on it doesn't mean it's a good idea (been
there)...

Motorola has been known to rebrand or subcontract stuff.

Google for TRN6031 doesn't do much but the Micom name seems to be still alive.

We forget there's another world of HF between the Feds, military, and embassy's.

Try it, let us know where the smoke starts.

believed to be clean.