Re: [Amps] Matching GU-74Bs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Matching GU-74Bs
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:29:53 -0700
Carl wrote...

< snip >

> I modified the HF and 6M NCL-2000's Ive had since 64-65 for individual bias
> adjust back then. A delta of around 5V is tolerable before IMD starts to
> suffer from the lower value biased tube being easier to drive. With static
> matching and a single adjustment a pair within 1V was considered matched.
>
> Ive deliberately kept far away from Russian tubes so cant say what their QC
> is like. However if Alpha is making such a fuss over it Id suspect that they
> vary considerably.

I have a bit of experience with the Russian tubes.  I was surprised by how
different
the bias requirements for the tubes can be.  I have measured variations in grid
bias
voltage of over 20 Volts to produce a given anode current (at constant screen
voltage
and anode voltage) .

Or as Carl correctly suspects, "...they vary considerably."

However, when the bias was adjusted to give the desired resting anode current,
the
performance was very similar.

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT