Re: [Amps] Plate chokes

To: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate chokes
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:21:47 -0400

Vic K2VCO wrote:
> On 3/24/2010 1:14 PM, Gary Schafer wrote:
>

>> Don't put a shorted strap around the choke. It will look like a shorted turn
>> and cause excessive current in the choke which may burn a section of the
>> choke out.
>>
>> Somewhere I read that you should not use a continuous band around either end
>> to terminate the ends of the choke winding. Same thing happens.

The way I see it... The shorted turn/band around the RF choke, may or
may not work well. It may or may not cause problems. IOW this is moving
into experimental territory.  It'd be interesting to see how various
configurations for continuous wound, gap wound, and gap wound with
stepped diameters perform with various spacings and diameter of the
shorted turn compared to the diameter of the choke sections.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)