Re: [Amps] building your own amplifier again

To: <jtml@vla.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] building your own amplifier again
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:27:55 -0400
Always good to read your comments John.

Many moons ago I worked for a company making 100-250KV supplies for
industrial use such as permanent pressed clothes.  The PS was basically a
many, many stage multiplier right off the AC line.

Id love to find iron rated at 1000-1500W audio, they seem to be gobbled up
by speculators and opportunists who scrap the BC rigs and get top dollar on
Ebay, etc.  I wound up with a beast rated at 7400W audio for cheap that sits
on the basement floor and I built the PP 304TL deck and PS on top of it. Its
still in the oil and weighs 385#, a simple task for my 2T cherry picker and
lawn tractor to remove from the pickup bed and lower down the bulkhead
stairs.

The 115V primary, 6000/7500 VAC CT @ 1.5ACCS iron got in the same way, thats
around 275# and came from a defunct shoe manufacturer. Thats fed from the
main breaker at 240V into a 240/440V 5 KVA step up, across the basement thru
#8's into an identical xfmr and then into a 28A 240V variac which drops it
down to the range needed for the tubes. Voltage drop under load is nil with
a pair of 250TH's running bright orange on voice peaks and the 304TL
modulator. The big xfmr was Free and the other pair were around $20-25 some
years ago that took up room until I found a use for them.

I also run 10KVA iron at 240/660V to feed up to 250' to outbuildings where
there are welders, compressors, machinery, etc. I think I got all 3 for
$100.

Carl
KM1H