Re: [Amps] 'good engineering'

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 'good engineering'
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:35:13 -0400
Jim,
I think that Bill needs to do a lot of reading. Orr's book is an excellent
start.

In his chapter on amplifiers he specifically spells out what happens to the
cathode current of a GG amp when no tuned input circuit is employed. He
describes how the cathode current follows the coax cable out to the exciter
and back. If Orr is not believable have a look at some of the Collins
material.

As to RF passing thru the chassis, again turning to Orr will explain it in
detail of how RF does not pass thru the chassis metal but thru holes in the
chassis. He specifically states how current on top of the chassis reaches
the bottom side of the chassis.
 For anyone that would like to read this it is in chapter 17-4 of the 17th
edition of his handbook. That is page 364.
With a different version of his book the chapter will probably be different,
but it is under "transmitter design, grounds".

As to Orr stating that "a GG amplifier doesn't need to be neutralized" that
is not true. What he does say is "it makes neutralization unnecessary in
many cases". Then he goes on to describe various neutralization methods in
the next few pages and tells you why some tubes may need it.
And I think that Orr knew what the phase relationship between plate and
cathode were.

Sometimes a little reading is better than inventing explanations. All of
this stuff has been done before.

73
Gary  K4FMX