Re: [Amps] LCR meter/review

To: "'Craig'" <vk3he@yahoo.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LCR meter/review
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:45:33 +0300
Well, well!
I didn't fall far from Jack's report. It's a god toy, fit for a technician's
or ham's bench!
Nobody is going to sell you a space quality instrument for that amount and
one item not mentioned was that the in circuit value of a component is
different from the bench measured one.
Such precision is required in mass production especially if the product is
designed without adjustment.
For us, if you need to wind a 2uH inductor, you wind it, install it and
tweak it so as to get it to the correct value in circuit.
It's a one off, for Pete's sake!
Can you justify a few kilobucks for a laboratory grade instrument, to
measure the last nano, when you know that the PCB tracks will add to it
anything from zero to 20 or 30 Nanohenries? Or would be a ballpark
instrument at one tenth of price be a better investment, one that allow you
to buy that darned antenna analyzer and a few tons of junk besides?
Alex                    4Z5KS