[Amps] contact bounce

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] contact bounce
From: PACER99@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 00:47:23 EDT
Hey guys,

I have an amplifier that uses a Jennings RJ6 relay in both the input and
output circuits. About once every two years I have to change the output
relay.  Since both relays switch at the same speed the output relay tends to
arc
during  the contact bounce stage of its cycle. This has been confirmed by
Jennings when  I sent back a bad relay and they opened it up to confirm the
failure.

My idea is to slow down the input relay slightly to save the output relay.
I dont think that the input relay will fail when hot switching the 200
watts RF  input where the output relay which switches 2 KW has problems.

If you agree with my thinking then can anyone suggest a simple solution to
slow the input relay switching.

The relays are Jennings RJ6B and operate at 24 VDC.

Thanks,
73
larry
n7dd