Re: [Amps] liquid cooling -- CORRECTION on DC-444 oil temp limit

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] liquid cooling -- CORRECTION on DC-444 oil temp limit
From: mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:42:26 -0500
On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 11:35:45AM -0500, mikea wrote:

> I don't know how much info is available on oil cooling; it is flammable,
> which isn't necessarily desirable, either: there _will_ be leaks, and
> oil-resistant flexible seals cost a bit more than vanilla synthetic
> flexible seals. You might be able to use one of the silicone oils, but they
> pose some problems of their own, especially having to do with their extreme
> slipperiness. Even so, DC-444 (Dow Corning 444) is good up to 444°F, which
> is well above where you'll want to run tubes, is used as a heat transfer
> medium in solar-heating systems, and doesn't eat rubber as far as I know.

CORRECTION!!!

The max temps on the tube seals are given as 250°C, which is 482°F.
There may be a Dow Corning silicone oil that is good to 482°F, but I'll
have to do research to find it.

OTOH, if you can keep the tube cooled below 444°F (228.88°C), you should
be in good shape.

"SRI, OM, but the oil chiller on the linear failed, and so I'm having to
run barefoot ... ."

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea@mikea.ath.cx