[Amps] Skin effect discussion

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Skin effect discussion
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:01:40 EDT
I don't think we have spent nearly enough time on this topic.

Here is a plan to determine the validity of rf flowing through a piece of
metal:

Connect a 1000 pF capacitor with two inch long leads to a 6" X  6" piece of
aluminum, .063" thick. Screws, nuts and solder lugs are ok for  this. Go to
the opposite side of the sheet and measure the capacitance between  those
same screws.

This is not a real rf test, so, an inductor can be added between the  two
screws on the opposite side from the capacitor. A grid dip meter coupled to
the inductor will show the resonant frequency. The reactance can be
calculated  from that and compared with the same inductor and capacitor
connected
without  the metal sheet.

Anyone want to take bets on the outcome?

73,
Gerald K5GW