Re: [Amps] [AMPS] 3-500z "glow blue"

To: Shon Edwards <sre.1966@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [AMPS] 3-500z "glow blue"
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:11:23 -0400
Blue glow in most of the tubes we use would indicate the presence of
gas, or the tube going gassy, but some tubes like the 6L6 normally run
with a blue glow.
Would a small amount of glow in a 4-1000 hurt? Probably not, but I
"don't think" it's a good indication for the future. OTOH some one with
more savvy than I have really needs to answer that.

Now if you've boosted the plate voltage and you are getting a green
glow, that's time to stop. We used to make X-Ray generator using the old
bulb shaped tubes with the silvery getter on the inside of the top. Then
we'd put a layer of Aluminum foil over the top of the tube. (these did
not have any connection on top of the tube). We would then put 20-30,000
volts + on the foil and the negative lead to the filament which was not
powered. I don't remember at what voltage level soft X-Rays start but
it's somewhat under 30KV.  This was part of a "how to" article in
Scientific American back in the 50's.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Shon Edwards wrote:
> See:  http://www.jacmusic.com/html/articles/blueglow/blueglow.htm.
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:56 PM, DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com> wrote:
>

>> If I key down with my 4-1000A amp tuned up, I can see a faint blue glow
>> around the glass, looking from above - but I thought that was normal
>>
>> Dave G0OIL

>>> 6) Tubes do not glow blue
>>> 7) The tubes appear OK (physically), passed the "shame next to ear" test
>>> 8) No grid current