Re: [Amps] HV lytic max V ratings..some notes.

To: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV lytic max V ratings..some notes.
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 18:41:08 -0400
Roger, I use the usual cap bypassing at the input plus a HD LC filter (keeps
RF out of the house wiring)built into each 240V metal outlet box. Then MOV's
right inside the main panel at each breaker going into the shack plus ones
for the refrigerator. Others right at the well pump, and oil burner. Only
3-4  failures (non flamable MOV's but they sure stink) in the 21 years Ive
been here, knock on wood.

On the secondary, a single .0047/.005 across each diode string and another
to ground at the output. Rated at 3X the PS DC.

A reverse connected 1N5408 across each filter cap.

Finally the usual HV surge (glitch) resistor and a real HV fuse, sometimes 2
of them.

Jim, VE7DX, probably has some suggestions when you get into serious voltages
and zillions of joules in the capacitor bank. I havent reached that level
yet.

Carl
KM1H