Re: [Amps] How to clean tube fins

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How to clean tube fins
From: Ryan Foster <foster.ryan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:37:15 -0400
Rick is right.  I was just making a general statement, not meant to be a
pre-dishwasher prep.  I've heard you can wash dipped transformers, but I
wouldn't do it.  That's just to much replacement cash if it went wrong.
Strip off anything sensitive first, and then after make sure it is dry.  Not
a few hours, or seems dry, but days-- you can't hurt it by over drying, only
buy not being dry.  The last amp I washed I let sit out on a picnic table
(it was mostly sunny, and say mid seventies (f)) for a few days to dry (I
think 4?), bringing it in at night in case there would be a dew.

>From my experience, paper caps come out just fine; all the paper caps I have
ever seen are made of waxed or coated paper, if you have dry, non-coated
ones I would strip them off.  Just make sure you don't have the heat on (or
at least on low if you have that kind of control on your dishwasher.  If you
can melt tupperware, you sure don't want to have that kind of heat on
there.)

--Ryan, w8cya