Re: [Amps] Transformer Calcs

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer Calcs
From: Patrick Barthelow <apolloeme@live.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:08:10 -0700

For a KW level  HV transformer, is there much difference between the temp that
you can touch and measure, say at the outside laminations, and perhaps the more
important temperatures in the core center, and the copper wire, bobbins,
windings, and paper/plastic insulation materials that we cannot see, inside?

And, a related question, from a cold room temperature start, if you could
measure the surface temperature of the laminations of a, say, Heathkit SB 220
amp that was being used with a lot of transmit time, on CW at 1KW out,  How
long would it be before the outside lamination temperature could give a
representative temperature of the more critical inside core temperatures?
Could  there be, say, 50 degree F temperature difference between inside and
outside when the Amp is producing 1KW RF output?  If you can cool the outside
of the transformer with continuous airflow from a  muffin fan, or better, would
that reduce significantly the inside core temperature?

Best Regards,
73, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG