Re: [Amps] What Is TheOptimum Bias For GS-35b Tubes?

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] What Is TheOptimum Bias For GS-35b Tubes?
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:51:09 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:35:46 -0700 (PDT), Mel
<itz_da_police@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What?s the optimum level of bias to run on a GS-35B and, based on my
>observations, should I crank my bias up a little higher in setup knowing that
>when the 2 tubes are run together they drag the B+ down which changes the
>affect of the bias setting?

REPLY:

This is one of those questions where you ask ten different people and
get ten different answers. There really is no one right answer. As you
reduce the bias, the idle current goes up and the linearity improves
but the efficiency goes down.

Increase the bias and all of the above go the other direction.

In my amps I set the idle current to about 25% of the full-carrier
current. I think that's a good compromise.

73, Bill W6WRT