Re: [Amps] 1 db compression point procedure ?

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 1 db compression point procedure ?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 09:55:33 -0400
It is useful to tell what your amp tubes are really capable of.

For example a pair of 572B's will start compressing at 75-80W altho they are
rated at 50W drive each. OTOH a pair of 3-500's wont be compressing at 100W
but those driving a single tube 3-500 amp will be all over the band at that
power.

At 100W the much maligned Clipperton L is a very clean amp, at 200W it is
dirty until the plate xfmr melts down.

Carl
KM1H