Re: [Amps] Salt water dummy loads

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Salt water dummy loads
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:14:24 -0500
Jim Thomson wrote:
> http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/SaltLoad/SaltLoad.html
>
> Has anybody actually tried these things ??      He show flat swr on 10m.
>
> I'm thinking if a bigger version  is feasible.. like 10-20-30 gals.   And
> maybe using
> cu strap or cu tubing for the probes.  With the amount of salt involved, I
> would
> not expect any algae, nor freezing problems.    The boiling point might also
> be raised
> a little, don't have a clue by how much though.   >1 gal.... glass is not
> feasible for the most
> part, but all sorts of plastic, and polycarbonate containers are available,
> that will easily
> handle 100+  deg C
>
> later... Jim  VE7RF

I wonder what driving a KW into a 3gal Hygeia bottle full of salt water would
do isfa breaking it down into gases such as chlorine, etc???  I am pretty
sure that I would not want this inside the house.  I think it would be quite
corrosive too.  fwiw, the babblings of a half educated post graduate with
only a year of high school chemistry... 50 yrs ago....
73
chas

--
chasm@texas.net   k5dam  Houston, TX