Re: [Amps] Salt water load

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Salt water load
From: "Martin Sole" <hs0zed@csloxinfo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:30:30 +0700
This is my concern.

I built a saltwater load in a 500gr coffee jar, it certainly works as
suggested. I have not tried it with more than 100 watts but I did put power
into it for a fair few minutes. The outer of the jar had noticeably warmed
but I didn't conduct any tests of a more scientific nature. Though I have
not used the load in several months the water in the jar looks essentially
as it did originally. Will have to measure it again when I get home.

I'm not (yet) comfortable with the thought of power being dissipated in an
un screened device such as this. In one of the articles I have seen it
mentioned not using a conductive container but I cannot see why that would
not work. Take a metal can and insert a single conductor into the centre of
the salt water such that the container acts as the other conductor and
essentially screens the load at the same time. Not tried this yet but seems
to me it would be the same thing.

Cheers
Martin, HS0ZED