[Amps] Possible transformer solution?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Possible transformer solution?
From: Donald Fox <taurusshoguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:53:53 -0700 (PDT)
Gentlemen:

I know there has been much discussion in the past regarding some of our older
amplifiers using 3 wire instead of the newer 4 wire AC feed.

In my instance, we are talking about my Henry 3002 console with 3 wire input
and the fact that it along with the filament and plate transformers are 240 vac
primary.

I have discovered that the ECA 1161 relay control transformer has an open
primary. It seems like it would be so much easier to find a 120 volt
transformer with the needed 30 vac secondary, and just run it off of one side
of the 240 volt line.

Will I be committing any grave engineering faux paus here, or can this be done
without great fanfare and conversion to the 4 wire feed?

                                      TIA              Don    N8ECH