[Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?
From: "Phil & Debbie Salas" <dpsalas@tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:15:40 -0500
"However, by putting a very large capacitor AT THE AMPLIFIER, you can use
smaller wires and
a smaller power supply. The capacitor charges during periods of low current
draw and then
supplies power when needed."

Remember you need to charge that capacitor.   If you applly full voltage to
the line and the capacitor is discharged, you might draw enough momentary
current to blow a fuse.

The Gamma power supply uses big capacitors to supply high, low duty cycle
current from a low current power supply.  I have a review of this power
supply on my website at www.ad5x.com.  However, you must be aware of the
duty cycle.  I found I could run 100 watts unprocessed SSB, but had to back
down to about 70-80 watts for CW.

Phil - AD5X