Re: [Amps] 833A 160 meter amp Phase 2 fit-up

To: Greg Weinfurtner <weinfurt@ohio.edu>, Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 833A 160 meter amp Phase 2 fit-up
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:39:51 -0700
The schematic shows a swamped grid-driven circuit. I think you will need to
develop about
225 volts across that 50 ohm resistor in order to drive the tube in class B,
which means
that you'll need to hit it with about 1KW to drive it! All but 20 or 30 of
those watts
will be dissipated in the resistor.

I suggest that you use a parallel-tuned input if you want a grid-driven
circuit, or use a
cathode-driven circuit. The 833A has a mu of about 35. Usually, higher-mu tubes
are used
in cathode-driven circuits (the Eimac 3-500Z has a mu of 130). I think this is
because the
higher mu means the grid is denser and will provide better shielding, but I'm
not 100%
sure of this.

On 8/11/2010 7:08 PM, Greg Weinfurtner wrote:
> Hi all,
>           I promised that I would tell when I had made major leaps in the
> 833A, single band, 160 meter project.  Latest pictures are at
>
> http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~weinfurt/833/833A.html
>
>           No wiring is done as this is just the 'fit-up' to see how things
> fit.  Heavy? You bet! The two HV microwave transformers are in parallel and
> diode isolated from each other.  Grounds are common, though.  There are 4
> square inches of in each of the transformers center leg, making a total of
> 8 square inches total.  I think they will supply enough power.
>
>           Anyway, check it out if you'd like to.
> 73,
>
> Greg Weinfurtner AEE BSS
> NS8O