Re: [Amps] Can I cool too much the tubes?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Can I cool too much the tubes?
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:21:44 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
"So the caution should be - yes, air is good.  Very good.  But if you are
heating the anode to a temp beyond it's specification, the degragation in
the condition of the anode is going to be happening no matter how much air is
blowing over the envelope."

It might be useful to consider a couple of different tubes.

First, consider the 811A.  If the tube element gets red for very long, you will
have a hole in the plate.  You could blow lots of air over this tube and it
will still be limited in plate dissipation.

Now, consider the 3-500Z tube.  It will run with lots of color.  Blowing lots
of air around this tube is much more meaningful as the plate is not likely
going to be the cause of failure.

I consider the benefit or running lots of air simply means that your tube will
be able to dissipate the rated capacity.  If you do not have lots of air,
dissipation will be less than rated.

73,  Colin  K7FM